Sinusitis is noticed by the inflammation or swelling of the sinuses tissues. The air filled sinuses becomes blocked with fluid providing a place for germs and bacteria’s to grow. The primary conditions that can cause a sinus infection include common cold, nasal polyps, blockage of drainage ducts etc.
Chances are there that sinusitis can affect the brain and lead to personality changes. In severe cases it may also lead to coma and even possibly death. As the consequences of the disease are harsh, it should not be ignored at any cost. Here are some effective home remedies for the treatment of sinusitis.
* Inhaling steam – One of the easiest home remedy is Inhaling steam with few drops of menthol oil in it. It can give some relief to the patient. Standing in a steamy shower may also provide the same effects. Steaming helps to open up any blocked drainage and facilitate the flow of mucous.
* Sinus rinsing – It is also known as nasal irrigation, sinus irrigation or sinus lavage. This home procedure involves salt water to rinse the nasal passages with head held elevated. You may also take help of someone.
* Eat spicy food – When suffering from sinusitis, eat spicy food as much as possible. This will help in opening up the sinus passage hence, improving the flow of mucous.
* Use lemon balm – Lemon balm is effective in fighting against sinusitis causing germs and bacteria’s. Boil some dried lemon balm leaves in water for about ten minutes and then filter the mixture. Gargle it daily to reduce the infection of the sinusitis.
* Drink lots of fluids – Drinking plenty of fluids will moisten the mucous membrane and will facilitate the easy flow of mucous. Alcohol should be avoided as it can worsen the infection.
* Sleep with your head elevated – When you are suffering from sinusitis, sleep with your head raised with the help of several pillows. It will reduce the pain and discomfort.
* Take hot tomato juice – One of the effective home remedy for curing sinus congestion is tomato. Boil one cup of tomatoes with pinch of salt in it and one tablespoon of chopped garlic and lemon juice. Take this hot tomato juice twice a day. It will definitely benefit you.
* Massage eucalyptus oil – It is advisable to massage eucalyptus oil onto your nose and cheeks to reduce the pain and distress caused due to infection. You can also put a drop of eucalyptus oil onto your handkerchief and inhale it regularly.
The above mentioned simple home remedies can surely lessen the symptoms of sinus congestion and helps you to get an instant relief.