So your child is keeping everyone awake with his crying, and you’re desperate to find ear pain home remedies that work. If it makes you feel better, know that other parents are going through the same thing you are!
Do you know that middle ear infection is the number one reason for trips to the pediatrician’s office? Roughly two-thirds of children come down with at least one infection before they turn three years old. For many parents, especially those whose babies have never suffered ear infections before, the experience can be very frightening. Their baby cannot tell them what’s happening and they cannot see what’s wrong.
Pediatricians used to prescribe antibiotics routinely for ear problems. Not so today. Now, pediatricians prefer waiting 72 hours before prescribing antibiotics. What do you do while your child goes through the wait and see period of 72 hours?
Some parents ease their child’s pain by giving them ear pain home remedies. There are many that are gentle, effective, and completely safe to use. Here are some of them.
1. Drop two to three drops of onion juice onto your child’s affected ear.
2. Put one or two drops of warm olive oil on each ear.
3. Put a cup of rice or salt inside a large sock. Warm the sock in the microwave for and then place it outside your child’s aching ear for 10 minutes.
4. Put a warm (NOT hot!) compress next to the affected ear. Leave it there for 10 minutes. You may also use warm bottled water instead of hot compress.
5. Elevate your child’s mattress — this will help clear the drainage. Keep in mind, though, that you should not use pillows to prop up your child’s head.
6. Let your child sip water frequently. This can help open up the Eustachian tube.
Don’t “white-knuckle” your way through your child’s pain. Try these ear pain home remedies and ease your child’s suffering!
Earache pain is a terrible and persistent affliction. I know because I suffer from it too! Just going outside on a cold day sets it off and I’m in agony for hours.